Diverse Industries F701 - Fire & Ice

This is the second loop Seka ever made, and her first for Raffaelli. It was shot in 1978 and like many of her early loops, this is film silent

Seka shot her first 8mm loop in Baltimore, in late 1977. It remains a mystery. I've never seen a copy and don't even know what it was called. 

According to Seka: "All I remember is [the guy I fucked] was around my age and skinny as hell… There was a bed with a flowered pattern that was God-awful 1970’s yellow… This wasn’t going to be glamorous [but] I felt excited. I was enjoying the sex, believe it or not. The guy was clean, decent-looking, nice to me, and good at what he was doing. What was there not to like?  Maybe because it was so taboo. Things that are forbidden are usually exciting… The guy ejaculated on my face… It never bothered me to watch it, but since this was the first time it happened to me – ever – it kind of flipped me out."

Catalogue for loop

In 1978 she met legendary photographer Ron Raffaelli. Raffaelli had made a name for himself in the music industry for taking iconic photographs of artists such as Jimi Hendrix, The Doors and Led Zeppelin; he also designed over 50 album covers. By the mid-1970s he had moved on to film, shooting a series of hardcore loops that were released as part of the Diverse Industries series. Given Raffaelli's background these were never going to be your typical one-day wonder fuck-films! It was during this time that he met Seka.

Seka later recalled: "Ron was really strange. He was very tall, thin… very much an egghead. Very intellectual. Smart and sweet… Ron was easy to work with… He did a lot of shoots for Puritan Magazine, which also had a line of 8mm films, so Ron asked me to do both. I didn’t realise it, but I was in the midst of the beginning of my career."


No comments:

Post a Comment